Monday, September 26, 2011

Coursework prep boards

Coursework 2011
Dare to Dream

Preparatory Boards x8

This post will let you know more about my coursework, though all the details can be found on the boards! I had a really fun but nervewrecking experience when I was doing up these boards, but I'm happy with the final product :) read on for more!

1/8, Dare to Dream
My coursework revolved around the idea of dreams. not the literal dreaming-when-you-sleep kind, but the aspiration, 梦想 kind of dreaming. The medium I decided to use was colour pencil, and click here for more details regarding the choice of medium! The loyal set of colour pencils that I used was Derwent Studio set of 72. So anyway, my work was largely meant to be a motivational piece, and I wanted viewers to get a straightforward idea of what I was trying to say. I'll explain more about this over the next few boards, but basically my final work consisted of 4x A3 horizontal posters!


2/8, The Story of Abraham Lincoln
This work uses a real life example of a huge dream being fulfilled. The story of Abraham Lincoln is truly an inspiring one. Abe Lincoln didn't get his face on the U.S. 1-cent coin overnight, and neither did his reign as the 16th U.S. President come easy. The untold story, of the determination that Lincoln had as he pursued his dreams, really amazed me when I first did my research on him. He lost his job, lost his sweetheart and was defeated over and over again for various political positions, for lose to 30 years! it was only in 1860 that his dream became fulfilled. Through this piece, I hope to establish the idea that no matter how impossible a dream of ours may seem, it, is, more often than not, achievable-- as long as we put our hearts to it and never give up whatever the circumstance.


3/8, Rapuzel: I've Got a Dream
The words sung by Rapunzel in Walt Diney Animation Studios' 2010 animated film, Rapunzel: a Tangled Tale were, "I've got a dream~ I just want to see the floating lanterns gleam~". This inspiring Disney story revolved around the theme of "follow your dreams" and it has touched the hearts of many... including me :) You can find out more about the story line here . The gist of the story is that Rapunzel eventually got her dream!!! This piece hopes to portray the message that if you dare to pursue your dream, fantasy can become reality.


4/8, I dare to dream
This piece reflects my personal take on the theme "dare to dream". Dancing has been something very close to my heart in recent years, and this is indeed what I've been dreaming to pursue deep down. Sadly, the reality of parental expectation and societal expectations makes pursuing dance harder than expected in the real world. However, no matter where life takes me in the next 10, 20, 30, 40 years, I my dream is to never stop dancing. Be it professionally or for my own leisure, I dream, and I believe, that the passion for dance that I have will never leave me!!!

All photographs used in the prep work for this piece were taken by Justin Koh

5/8, The Little Boy with a Big Dream
This piece explores a more literal meaning of what it means to dare to dream. It portrays a young boy holding a crown above his head. The crown is symbolic of his playful wish to become a king on day. This big dream may be too large to rest upon his puny head, but if he dares to dream, who is to stop him? How many of us actually dare to pursue such boomz dreams nowadays? 


6/8, Compositions 1

7/8, Compositions 2
My compositions were all rather sketchy, and I must admit that some of them were done after the final was completed. But that's quite fun actually, and spontaneous!!! I like how the first idea that hits me gets translated into my final (although mrs tan might not approve hahaha) ^^

8/8, font studies and others
The one thing that fused my disparate pieces together was the text in the background. The idea of putting in purple text to thread the 4 pieces together was an idea that mrs tan gave me during the final consultation. I think that adding text was a smart move cos it also adds an extra dimension to the work instead of letting it just be a flat landscape/ portrait. It was very fun trying to imitate the different fonts from microsoft word!!!! The boxed up part at the bottom right-hand corner are actually downsized scans of my final work, which you can view here!

As I've mentioned, there are much muchmuchmuch more details on the boards! This is just the gist of it! :) do give me some feedback ya, thank you very muchhhh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment