Saturday, September 24, 2011

Crazy street art

I TYPED IN "STREET ART" ON GOOGLE IMAGES AND LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!!!!!!!




THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! I TOTALLY SAT UPRIGHT WHEN I SAW IT. Anyway if you haven't realised, that's a FLAT PAINTING on the ROAD!!!!!! You can actually make out the drain cover somewhere around the middle-left and bottom-right hand corner. I'm at a loss for words now oh my, this is a really super high level of art man!!!! It brings a whole new dimension to an otherwise dead-looking town!!!! The downside is that I think it only appears 3-D from certain angles (like the one in the pic).

Anyway, the astounding artist is Edgar Mueller, click click click >>> http://www.metanamorph.com/ and he is my dad's age! The work above and it is one out of the few huuuuuuumongous 3D street art works that he has done. 
"He paints over large areas of urban public life and gives them a new appearance, thereby challenging the perceptions of passers-by. The observer becomes a part of the new scenery offered. While going about their daily life, people change the painting's statement just by passing through the scene." 


If I'm not wrong, he doesn't work alone. So for example, the waterfall one was done with a few other local artists, but he's the mastermind!!!! What really took my breath away was how realistic the paintings are, especially the waterfall one cos the weather (at the time of the photo) seems to tell the same story as the rapid river. As for the lava one, although it seems too impossible for a whole town to be resting upon a lava valley, I think the work opens up many many many doors of possibilities for the people living around there/ tourists and viewers. Can you imagine the little kids who live there growing up with such a mesmerizing street at their doorstep!!!!! I am really very fascinated as you can see hahahaha

Once again, I am reminded how important patience and prep work is through this work. Ya I have never really been a fan of doing prep work and often dread having to "do prep for the sake of prep" BUT this work proved me wrong in more ways than one. Firstly I srsly doubt Mueller could have come up with this without tons and tons of prep studies. He would've had to experiment with how to render such delicate brushstrokes to depict splashing waves, experiment with hundreds of shades of blue to make the ice look realistic and etc. Secondly, the ANGLE. That has to be the hardest part of his 3D street art, getting the angle right. So here's a video of the process and viewer response for one of his works:


I think it's interesting how people tend to avoid the middle part and walk on the "edge" of the path even though everything is actually step-able hahahahahahah!!!! And I think such works really raise the awareness of art in a society, cos something like this screams "LOOK AT ME, I AM ART, COME TO ME, BE FASCINATED BY ME", rather than the sculptures that we have all over Singapore that people hardly take notice of and walk by as if they're worth nothing :( 

Mr edgar mueller!!!!! can you come to singapore please?????? :) 

4 comments:

  1. hi Chermaine!
    I saw these works before on the internet, and I was blown away. They are stunning. Another artist, Julian Beever, also produces artworks on pavements, but the scale of his works are smaller. You can google him, his works are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cher!

    I saw these works before too!(RE: LiYi)
    I'm really fascinated by how he is able to achieve to get that realistic effect, which is extremely important since it is to bring his viewer out of the context they are in, so it has to have the ability to draw them in.

    Also, I've chanced upon works of 17-year old Chilean artist Fredo. He draws really well and plays with optical illusions pretty much like the one you have, but just on paper. Check out the site below, this is a compilation by a blogger. And the second one is his official site.

    http://twistedsifter.com/2010/11/3d-drawings-
    by-fredo/

    His site: http://www.fredosis.com/#/portfolio/people

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chermon! :D

    I THINK THIS IS VERY COOL LEH WHEN I SAW IT I WAS LIKE WOAH :DDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is coooooll!!!!

    ReplyDelete